Call us:864-276-1133 Mon-Fr:8:30am-5:00pm EST
Orthodox icon of the 3rd Finding of the Haed of Saint John the Baptist. Icon of 14th cent., Monastery of Megisti Lavra Mount Athos.
Commemorated May 25th.
The Third Discovery of the Venerable Head of the Holy Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist John occurred in about the year 850 (see the account of the First and Second Discoveries on February 24). The head of St John the Forerunner was found in the city of Emesia during a time of unrest at Constantinople connected with the exile of St John Chrysostom (November 13).
It was transferred to Komana during the Saracen raids (about 820-820) and it was hidden in the ground during a period of iconoclastic persecution. When the veneration of icons was restored, Patriarch Ignatius (847-857) saw in a vision the place where the head of St John the Forerunner was hidden. The patriarch communicated this to the emperor, who sent a delegation to Komana.
There the head was found a third time arond the year 850. Afterwards the head was again transferred to Constantinople, and here on May 25 it was placed in a church at the court. Part of the head is on Mt. Athos. The Third Discovery of the Head of John the Baptist is commemorated on May 25.
"The Embrace " of Sts. Joachim and Anna
Orthodox icon of the Holy Forefathers, Abraham, Isak and Jacob.
Holy Parents of Theotokos icon (2)
Orthodox icon of the Holy Parents Anna and Joachim with Theotokos (2). Copy of a contemporary icon.